Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I Believe, Therefore I Am

In many times, and in many places, enlightened minds have often pondered about what makes a human special, distinct, instantly different from the rest of the living creatures that populate the world around us. Is it our vastly superior intellect? (Although the way we treat our environment and each other often belies that "superior intellect" we are supposed to possess.) Is it our creativity, although seldom exercised? Is it our compassion, now seldom demonstrated? Of course there are some who will also argue that it is all of the above that demonstrates our distinction from other species.

I believe though that there is yet another factor which differentiates us from other animals: the ability to believe. Some may call it faith, others may call it delusion. But there is no doubt that the power to believe, and the power of belief, both, are intrinsic to humanity. And intricately intertwined in these, are the emotions of hope, despair, optimism, pessimism and perhaps, even love.

To underscore exactly how powerful the ability to believe can be, we can look at the history of the world. Through faith, the structured belief in a religion, men have fought wars. Through customs, the belief in the traditions of one’s society, atrocities have been committed. Think of the crusades, where Christians and Moslems fought for the Holy Land. Think of culture, where female babies have been ditched for the hope of the conception of a future male. I think you get the idea.

The intrinsic ability to believe is therefore fundamental to human existence, Yet nowhere else is it demonstrated in the animal kingdom. Perhaps in some small way, a dog demonstrates it, by waiting at the door for the owner to come back. But that is a belief borne of routine and demonstration. Only humans have the ability (some might call it folly) to believe in something that they may have never experienced in their lifetime.

Belief can sustain a human through the leanest and most evil of times, and yet may drive a person to suicide even though that person may seem to be the luckiest individual alive. And like any other emotion (well belief is not an emotion, one colleague calls it emotion, another calls it a frame of mind… I am inclined to agree with the latter) belief can be both debilitating and enlightening.

I know that while we have to be very careful about what we believe in, and how we apply our beliefs, our beliefs can and should be controlled and carefully monitored. Because, like so many other things, the act of believing, can define a person. I believe, therefore I am.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ekkie, taking a little time today to see what will send me to that is interesting. I Believe, Therefore I Am looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try in my e-travels. Have a super day!

2:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ekkie, it’s late in the evening, quiet and peaceful. This is good computer time for me. I thought I would check on Home Business and see what came up. I Believe, Therefore I Am is something that is interesting to many people. I will also spend a little time checking on Home Business. Getting late, have a good evening.

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter